I know, I know...it might be a sin to take the noodles out of lasagna... BUT! this is a delicious low carb zucchini and eggplant lasagna.
It is a great gluten-free option to throw into your routine to add more vegetables while still filling the void of comfort food if you are trying to go keto or low carb.
If you've made lasagna before it is the same concept- but rather than precooking the noodles, you will quickly cook the zucchini slices to reduce excess water. After all, zucchini is 95% water.
Over the Spoon for:
A naturally gluten-free lasagna
A low carb and keto lasagna recipe full of protein
An easy crowd pleaser dinner that's full of vegetables
What do you need:
Want to make it vegetarian? Leave out the meat
No ground beef? Try ground chicken or ground turkey
Want a new flavor? Add some pesto sauce or try a vodka sauce instead of marinara
How to make:
- Cut your zucchini and eggplant for the lasagna and cook on a sheet pan.
- Cook meat, drain, and add sauce.
- Mix ricotta mixture.
- Layer the lasagna
- Cook and serve.
Serve with: fresh basil, parsley, parmesan, or red pepper flakes.
TIP: If you don't have time to precook the zucchini to reduce the water content, try just using eggplant as it does not have as much water as the zucchini.
How long does it last: this reheats well and lasts about 3-4 days in the fridge.
If you like this lasagna, try out my:
I hope you are Over the Spoon for this recipe!
It is my goal to inspire you to create healthy and easy meals.
It would mean the world if you could leave a review or a star rating below!
Zucchini and Eggplant Lasagna
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large eggplant
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups sliced mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Using a mandolin, cheese slicer, or a knife –slice eggplant and zucchini into thin strips long ways.
- Place zucchini and eggplant on a baking sheet and sprinkle slices with salt – bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- In a large pan over medium heat, saute garlic and brown meat. Stir in marinara sauce.
- Pat zucchini and eggplant dry with paper towels after taking out of the oven to cut down on excess water.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta, egg, and Italian seasoning.
- In a 9 by 13 baking dish layer zucchini and eggplant, ½ the meat and sauce, and ½ the ricotta until to the top of dish. Repeat. Finish with a layer of eggplant/zucchini.
- Top lasagna with mozzarella then bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and cover in shredded parmesan then bake an additional 8 minutes and broil on high for 2 minutes for a crispy top.