This low carb cabbage soup made with ground turkey is such an easy and healthy dinner made on the stove top.
It is a great keto friendly recipe but if you want to add more sustenance feel free to add cooked rice!
Often times not everyone in a household is focused on a low carb recipe so it's great to have an option add carbs for those who need it.
I use a beef barbacoa seasoning packet to give this recipe a smoky Mexican cabbage soup flavor.
What do you need to make this low carb cabbage soup?
- ½ a head of green cabbage
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- can of diced tomatoes
- tomato paste
- chicken broth
- apple cider vinegar
- white onion
- green bell pepper
- 1 package beef barbacoa seasoning
- Instead of ground turkey you could use ground beef, ground chicken, or ground pork.
- I almost always use frozen diced onion and bell pepper- its so much easier!
- Another lazy hack is to use 2 bags of sliced cabbage for coleslaw rather than chopping cabbage.
- If you can't find barbacoa seasoning you could use taco seasoning or make your seasoning combination with: cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder plus salt and pepper to taste.
Because of the smoky flavor of barbacoa in this Mexican cabbage soup I highly recommend topping with Greek yogurt or sour cream! It's also wonderful with some fresh cilantro.
How to make:
This is such a simple stovetop mexican cabbage soup recipe all you do is:
- Sauté onion and bell pepper for about 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and apple cider vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Add chopped cabbage, turn to simmer, and cook for 5 minutes.
If you like your cabbage cooked more give it more time, I tend to veer towards a cooked cabbage but slighttttly crunchy still.
Over the Spoon for:
An easy low carb soup
Loaded with fiber and protein
Great for meal prep
If you like this soup recipe you should try my:
Low Carb Cabbage Soup
- ½ head of green cabbage
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 packet barbacoa seasoning
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ diced white onion
- 1 diced bell pepper
- Prepare vegetables by loosely chopping cabbage, diced onion, and bell pepper.
- In a large greased pan on medium heat sauté onion and bell pepper for about 2 minutes, add ground turkey and cook until brown.
- Pour in broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, barbacoa seasoning and apple cider vinegar and turn heat on high.
- Once boiling add chopping cabbage and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt.