Nothing says Fall is in the air quite like a hearty chili! I honestly eat this healthy turkey chili recipe year 'round because it's so easy to throw on the stove, it's ready in about 45 minutes, and it's so delicious. I almost always have pretty much everything to make this in my pantry or freezer.
What's in this chili?
- lean ground turkey
- bone broth (could sub chicken broth)
- canned diced tomatoes --> not a must but if you see 'fire roasted tomatoes' they add an extra great flavor
- kidney beans
- tomato paste --> I always keep a tube of tomato paste in the fridge as to not only need a small amount from a can
- yellow onion
- green bell pepper
- spices (cumin and chili powder)
- apple cider vinegar
- vegetables! these are totally up to you and based on what you have on hand.
You could use a frozen vegetable 'blend' something like corn, carrots, green beans... any fresh vegetables such as spinach or kale... or just adding a can of corn is great!
Where do I find bone broth?
I either make it, buy it locally, or order from Kettle & Fire . They use quality natural ingredients that are a whole food based source of collagen.
Is turkey chili healthy?
*Refraining from saying abso-tootley* but... yes! Chili is full of protein, tons of fiber ( HELLO BEANS), and anti-oxidants from added vegetables.
You don't have to just use ground turkey, you could sub ground beef (highly recommend using grass-fed beef) or even a blend of ground turkey and ground beef.
Tips to make this the best turkey chili:
- Add an vegetables (fresh or frozen) after you bring to a boil and then simmer for about 25 minutes.
- After done cooking add 1.5 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and stir, then add salt and pepper.
Topping options! The best part of chili:
- Shredded cheese
- Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- Avocado to add healthy fat
- Corn Bread! ---> I have a Healthy Cornbread recipe here!
Healthy Turkey Chili
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 lbs. ground lean turkey
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2½ tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 cups vegetables of your choice or 1 can corn
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- In a large pan, saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook completely through.
- Add cumin and chili powder, stir thoroughly.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans, and broth, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, add vegetables and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls, topped with favorite toppings!
*Note this post contains affiliate links:
This means if you purchases through the provided link I provide then I receive a portion of proceeds. I only share links and work with companies that I trust and use myself.