Are sloppy joes healthy?
Yes! (they can be) Do sloppy joes need to sloppy? Also in my opinion...yes! It's part of the fun. This healthier sloppy joe recipe is one that you can make again and again and you most likely already have all the ingredients on hand.
Messy Sams, Manwhich, Sloppy Janes, Sloppy Joes ...whatever you choose to call them, these are a great healthier crowd pleaser!
How to make sloppy joes healthier:
Use ground turkey instead of ground beef to keep them leaner or use grass fed beef to get all the benefits from the beef.
Limit the sugar content found in certain ketchup or added brown sugar.
Stick to real ingredients! The long list of ingredients found on sloppy joe cans is full of additives.
What do you serve sloppy joes with?
My favorite way to eat this easy sloppy joe recipe is over a baked sweet potato (don't knock it til you try it!) or in a pita pocket served with steamed broccoli and corn on the side. These are the "healthier sloppy joe" way.
Of course, these are also amazing served on a regular bun!
Over the spoon for:
Low sugar content
High in filling protein
Healthy comfort food
Easy to make
What do you need:
- Ground turkey
- Bell Pepper
- Tomato paste
- Apple cider vinegar
Optional: low sugar ketchup
no ground turkey? use ground chicken! or grass-fed beef
How to make healthier sloppy joes:
- Saute the veggies (bell pepper and onion)
- Add the ground turkey and brown the meat.
- Stir in liquids (tomato paste, mustard, apple cider vinegar)
Do you want to sneak even more veggies in? try sautéing riced cauliflower in with the meat!
What to make for dinner the rest of the week?
Try my Healthy Pizza Quinoa Bake Recipe for a healthy version to satisfy pizza cravings!
Healthier Sloppy Joe Recipe
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp low sugar ketchup optional
- Grease a large pan and saute the diced bell pepper and onion for about 5 minutes, allowing the onion to become translucent and the pepper tender.
- Add in ground turkey and saute meat until brown, no need to drain!
- Stir in tomato paste, mustard, and vinegar. Optional to drizzle with ketchup and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bun, stuff a sweet potato, or as a side to some sauteed vegetables!