I recently learned you can bake rice....and now I can't stop.
This chicken fajita casserole, similar to a chicken taco casserole, is the best way to cure your craving for Mexican.
Since it is made with rice, it is a naturally gluten-free casserole and is healthy and delicious!
All you need to do is layer everything in a casserole dish and bake.
The main things to know for baking rice is to have a ratio of 1 part rice to 2 parts liquid.
This chicken fajita casserole makes amazing leftovers and is the perfect dish to meal prep for the week.
You can use many pantry staples that you would to make fajitas or tacos such as rice, beans, diced tomatoes, and salsa.
What do you need to make this chicken fajita casserole:
- Rice - white rice, brown rice, or quinoa works for this recipe
- Chicken tenderloins - or chicken breasts cut into strips
- Corn - canned or frozen works well
- Beans - black beans or pinto beans drained
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes - any canned tomatoes work here
- Fajita seasoning - or taco seasoning
- Vegetables - such as onion and bell peppers - can add zucchini too!
- Shredded Mexican Cheese - omit if dairy free
- Aluminum Foil
- hot sauce
- sour cream
How to make a Chicken Fajita Casserole with Rice:
Layer chicken fajita ingredients, cover with foil, & bake!
- Start by chopping vegetables and then sauteing them.
- Place all ingredients except for cheese in casserole dish.
- Cover in foil and bake.
- Remove foil - add cheese- and bake 5 more minutes.
- Serve with favorite toppings.
This chicken fajita casserole is so easy to throw together, even the night before if you like and then pop it in the oven whenever you're ready.
Over the Spoon for:
High protein chicken taco casserole
Veggie loaded Mexican bake
Not for this chicken fajita casserole! It cooks the rice while it bakes.
You can prep by cutting all vegetables or even put everything in a casserole dish up to 1 day in advance and bake when you're ready.
Cook individual servings on a microwave safe dish for 30 second increments.
You can serve it with tortilla chips, wrap it in a burrito, or in a bowl with favorite toppings.
I hope you are Over the Spoon for this recipe!
It is my goal to inspire you to create healthy and easy meals.
It would mean the world if you could leave a review or a star rating below!
Chicken Fajita Casserole with Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 diced red onion
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 2 cups salsa verde
- ½ cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 1 packet fajita seasoning or taco seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Dice pepper and onion and sauté for 5 minutes in a minute over medium heat.
- In a casserole baking dish add rice, chicken, sautéed vegetables, corn, tomatoes, and beans.
- Cover with broth, salsa, fajita seasoning and thoroughly stir ingredients in dish.
- Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Take off foil, cover in cheese, and bake uncovered for 5 more minutes.