This black bean curry soup is such an easy weeknight dinner. It is naturally vegan and loaded with vegetables and tons of vibrant curry flavor.
You can make this soup in one pot all on your stovetop in 30 minutes!
It freezes well, so you can save some in your freezer for a rainy day.
This soup is an incredibly affordable dinner option, made from canned goods you may already have in your pantry.
Why I love this Black Bean Curry Soup:
While you could make this any time of the year, this soup has such a bright flavor profile to bring sunshine to a dreary winter day.
This soup is healthy and filling because it is full of protein and fiber to keep you full.
How to cook Black Bean Curry Soup on the stovetop:
This easy Black Bean Curry soup requires minimal prepping. After chopping onion and bell pepper, you simply need to stir ingredients a few times before blending everything together.
I prefer to use an immersion blender in soups, but if you have a blender that can handle hot objects you could use that as well.
The prep for this soup is very similar to my Broccoli Almond Soup that is just as nourishing!
- Black Beans - I made this black bean curry with low sodium canned black beans but any canned black beans work. Black Beans are great because they are loaded with fiber and protein.
- Vegetables - Adding onion, bell pepper, and frozen or fresh cauliflower to this soup adds flavor and extra nutrients.
- Spices - Curry Powder and Red Curry Paste gives this soup the perfect flavor
- Tomatoes - Canned diced tomatoes from the pantry! Fire Roasted Tomatoes would be delicious too
- Coconut Milk - Canned full fat coconut milk is what you need here
- Broth - vegetable broth if you'd like to keep it vegetarian or bone broth to add more protein
- Toppings: Adding fresh lime juice and cilantro to serve
- Start by sauteing onion and pepper.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Blend soup with immersion blender and serve with optional toppings.
Recipe notes and variations:
Vegan: This black bean curry soup is natural vegan if you make with vegetable broth
Add Meat: If you would like to add meat to this soup you could stir in cooked shredded chicken
No Black Beans? You could make this with chickpeas or kidney beans
How to Store and Reheat Black Bean Curry Soup:
To Store: keep soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To Reheat: Gently rewarm this soup in a pot over medium heat on the stove, or microwave in microwave safe bowl.
To Freeze: Store soup in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What goes well with Black Bean Curry Soup?
Rice - white rice, brown rice, or even quinoa complements this soup.
Vegetables - a side of roasted broccoli is delicious with soup.
Salad - a balanced salad is the perfect side.
I hope you are Over the Spoon for this recipe!
It is my goal to inspire you to create healthy and easy meals.
It would mean the world if you could leave a review or a star rating below!
Black Bean Curry Soup
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¾ cup broth of choice
- 1 can regular coconut milk
- 1 can red tomatoes
- 2 cans black beans
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower florets
- Grease a large pot with olive oil and sauté diced onion and bell pepper for about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, cauliflower, beans, tomatoes, and coconut milk.
- Stir in curry paste and curry powder.
- Bring to a simmer and then turn on low for 10 minutes.
- Blend soup with immersion blender and serve with lime juice and cilantro.