Soup season is just the best season to make comforting and nourishing soups.
This healthy white chicken chili (instant pot optional) is one of my all time favorite types of chili!
If you are in a rush, the instant pot would be the faster version. If you have cooked chicken the stove top is just as fast!
Over the Spoon for:
- High in protein & fiber (from the white beans)
- Gluten and Dairy free
- Makes amazing leftovers
What do you need:
- Chicken breast- using the instant pot for the white chicken chili is my favorite way to cook chicken! If you are cooking on the stop top its easier to cook ahead of time.
- Minced Garlic
- Chicken Broth
- Green Chile Peppers - these are vital to the flavor!
- Great Northern Beans (White Beans)
- Cumin and Oregano
If you are vegetarian you can add more beans instead of chicken and use vegetable broth instead
How to make White Chicken Chili in the instant pot:
- Sauté onion and garlic for about 6 minutes with olive oil.
- Add 1 cup broth and chicken breasts, cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken, shred, and return to pot with the rest of the broth, spices, beans, and chiles.
- Cook with high pressure for 8 minutes and serve with favorite toppings!
Topping ideas: Shredded Monterey jack cheese, greek yogurt or sour cream, cilantro, or hot sauce
If you're a fan of white chicken chili, try out this Healthy Turkey Chili next!
I hope you are Over the Spoon for this recipe!
It is my goal to inspire you to create healthy and easy meals.
It would mean the world if you could leave a review or a star rating below!
White Chicken Chili Recipe
- instant pot
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 large chicken breast
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans chopped green chile peppers
- 4 cans great Northern beans
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- In a large pot, or in the instant pot on sauté mode: sauté diced onion and garlic with a spray of olive oil for about 8 minutes.
Cooking with instant pot:
- Hit cancel from saute mode. Add 1 cup broth and chicken, cook for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Remove chicken and shred, then return to pot.
- Add the rest of broth, beans, chiles, and spices.
- Cook on high for 8 minutes and serve.
If using precooked chicken on stove top.
- After cooking onions and garlic, add broth, chicken and rest of ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 25 minutes.
- Serve with favorite toppings.
Wow! This was the perfect cold weather dish! I made a large pot of this and it was delicious until the end. 2 days after it was gone my husband asked me to make it again!
I can throw it together quickly so I was happy to repeat . Love, love this recipe!
I have always enjoyed chili when the temperatures start dropping. Thanks to my new instant pot and this recipe I can now make this on the spur of the moment and it tastes like I had it simmering for hours. The combo of the chicken and beans with the spices make it just right! This recipe wins rave reviews!