If I could have soups every day...I wouldn't complain. They are such a great way to use pretty much anything in your fridge, while packing a in a ton of nutrients. This healthy chicken sausage quinoa soup is made on the stove in one pot and is ready in about an 45 minutes!
Over the Spoon for:
healthy creamy soup
hearty filling meal
full of protein and fiber
What's in this soup?
- Ground Italian chicken sausage (can definitely substitute ground turkey sausage!)
- Canned tomatoes
- red bell pepper
- yellow onion (or shallot)
- minced garlic
- quinoa (raw)
- bone broth (can sub chicken broth)
- kale (you could substitute with spinach!)
- Greek yogurt or cream cheese (optional)
If you want to keep the soup dairy free, you can absolutely leave out the Greek yogurt. I love the creaminess it adds and gives it a ton of extra protein!
Where do I find bone broth?
I either make it, buy it locally, or order from Kettle & Fire . They use quality natural ingredients and are a whole food based source of collagen! If you are looking for bone broth in the store make sure it's organic and isn't filled with ingredients you don't know.
How to make this chicken sausage soup:
- In a large pot, sauté the garlic, bell pepper and onion with olive oil and salt.
- Fully brown the ground chicken sausage and then add the seasonings *strongly recommend sprinkling in some red pepper flakes if you like spicy.
- Add the tomato, quinoa, and broth and bring to a boil
- Add kale and a bay leaf and simmer for about 15 minutes
- Turn off heat, remove the bay leaf, and stir in Greek yogurt
- Serve with fresh parsley on top!
What are your favorite soups? My favorite classic is this Healthy Turkey Chili... let me know in the comments below!
Healthy Chicken Sausage Soup
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 lb. ground chicken sausage (or turkey sausage)
- 1 15 oz. can tomatoes
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 cups kale
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup full fat greek yogurt
- In a large greased pot, saute onion, pepper, and garlic on medium heat with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until fully brown.
- Add onion salt, Italian seasoning, (red pepper flakes if you like spicy!) and stir.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, and quinoa and bring to a boil.
- Bring to a simmer, add kale, and cook for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is fully cooked.
- Turn off heat, remove bay leaf, and stir in greek yogurt.
- Serve! Option to add fresh parsley as a garnish.
*Note this post contains affiliate links:
This means if you purchases through the provided link I provide then I receive a portion of proceeds. I only share links and work with companies that I trust and use myself.