If you have never made a cashew cheese sauce, don't be intimidated! This recipe is flavored to taste like a queso sauce and it is such a great dairy-free dip.
What you need:
- a blender or food processor
- raw cashews
- green chiles
- nutritional yeast
- garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder (or taco seasoning)
What the heck is nutritional yeast?
Great question! It is de-activated yeast with a cheesy and nutty flavor.
Similar to quinoa- nutritional yeast contains all 9 essential amino acids and therefore is a source of protein!
It is a great source of B-vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants.
Nutritional yeast is a great ingredient to have on hand and can be used in so many recipes as a cheesy flavor, sprinkled on popcorn, or in soups!
How to make this cashew cheese sauce:
Soak cashews in hot water for 30 minutes or in cold water for 2 hours
Blend soaked cashews with the rest of the ingredients
Heat up, sprinkle with chili powder and serve!
What to serve vegan queso with:
- Dip your favorite chips in
- Top a burrito or taco
- Make a vegan quesadilla
You could even trade out the regular cheese to make this Chicken Fajita Quinoa Casserole dairy-free!
Cashew Cheese Sauce
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- 4 oz green chiles
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Cover cashews with hot water to soak for 30 minutes or soak in room temperature water for about 2 hours. (Do not soak overnight)
- Drain cashews and add to blender with chiles, water, nutritional yeast, and spices.
- Blend until creamy and pour in a pan or a microwave safe dish.
- Heat queso either on stovetop or in a microwave and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and additional sprinke of chili powder.
- Serve with chips or on a burrito
Let me know what you think of this cashew cheese sauce!
There are lots of different ways to make a cashew cheese sauce - think alfredo style- by switching up the spices and flavors!