Hello, healthy one (instant) pot dinner
In just 2 steps you can have this chicken verde soup!
This feels like a mix of instant pot chicken and rice, slash instant pot chicken tortilla soup, slash chile verde.
What do you serve Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Chili Verde with:
Similar to the best Vegan Black Bean Soup ,you can serve this with lots of different toppings just using whatever you have on hand.
To make things spicy try adding some jalapenos or top with your favorite hot sauce (Cholula would be ah-mazing). I love to serve it with shredded cheese, a dollop of greek yogurt for additional creaminess, a slice avocado, a slice of lime, or additional cilantro.
Is chicken chili verde healthy?
Heck yes. The beans and rice give it fiber, the chicken gives it lots of protein, and the garlic and bell pepper give it great nutrients! Topping with avocado or full-fat greek yogurt will give it additional healthy fats to keep you extra full!
Over the spoon for:
Full of fiber
High in protein
Makes the best left overs
What do you need to make Chicken Chili Verde:
- green bell pepper
- red onion
- minced garlic
- chicken breasts
- white beans
- salsa verde
- green chilis
- chicken broth
- lime juice
- chili powder
How to make Chicken Chili Verde in the instant pot:
- Sauté bell pepper, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Hit cancel, add remaining ingredients, and pressure cook for 25 minutes.
- Release pressure, remove chicken and shred.
- Return chicken to pot and serve with toppings.
How to adjust instant pot to make it on the stove:
If you don't have an instant pot you could easily adjust the recipe to make it on the stove top.
The easiest option would be to use precooked chicken (like rotisserie chicken) and rice, then add the rest of the ingredients to a large pot on the stove (except change the broth to 2 cups, and cook for about 30 minutes, bringing to a boil and then letting to simmer)
Chicken Verde Soup
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- ½ diced red onion (about ½ a cup)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 large chicken breasts
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can white beans
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 small can green chilis
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp cumin
- Lightly spray the inside of your instant pot and set to saute mode, cook bell pepper, onion, and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Hit cancel on instant pot, add all of the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- Attach lid, and pressure cook for 15 minutes.
- When done cooking, hit cancel and release pressure.
- Pull out chicken breasts and shred, then return chicken to instant pot and stir.
- Serve with your favorite mexican style toppings! Plus a side of tortilla chips for dipping.
What's your favorite chicken recipe?
I love this Turmeric Tahini Chicken Recipe to throw over rice or in a pita pocket!