Fresh basil makes this spaghetti squash casserole chicken caprese such a fresh and flavorful dish.
Prepping the spaghetti squash and shredded chicken ahead of time makes this casserole so fast and easy to make!
Over the Spoon for:
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- Full of filling fiber
- Low carb casserole dish
What do you need:
- spaghetti squash
- cooked shredded chicken
- Red Pesto- this is a pesto sauce made from sundried tomatoes
- Garlic Powder
- fresh mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Balsamic Glaze
Substitutions: To make this vegetarian, leave out the shredded chicken
If you can't find red pesto sauce you can sub a basil pesto but be sure to add some sundried tomatoes!
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Strain cooked and shredded Spaghetti Squash to remove as much moisture as possible (you can do this by either pressing down with a colander or use a cheese cloth.
- In a large bowl mix squash, chicken, garlic powder, and pesto.
- Place in a casserole dish topped with mozzarella slices and bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil and balsamic glaze.
- Strain the spaghetti squash as much as possible to reduce any excess moisture!
- Cook the spaghetti squash ahead of time with my favorite microwave method: How to Cook Spaghetti Squash (in the microwave)
- To save time use shredded rotisserie chicken
If you're a fan of this casserole you should try my:
- Low Carb Lasagna
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Breast Bake
I hope you are Over the Spoon for this recipe!
It is my goal to inspire you to create healthy and easy meals.
It would mean the world if you could leave a review or a star rating below!
Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Chicken Caprese
A low carb casserole made with spaghetti squash and chicken
- 2 cups shredded and strained cooked spaghetti squash
- 1 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken
- ¼ cup red pesto
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup chopped basil
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl mix together cooked squash, chicken, pesto, and spices.
- Spray a casserole dish with olive oil and evenly spread out mixture.
- Top with cheese slices and cook for 20 minutes, then broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese is golden.
- Serve with chopped basil and balsamic drizzle.
Be sure to remove as much liquid as possible from cooked spaghetti squash to reduce excess liquid.
Calories: 205kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 18gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 556mgPotassium: 138mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 365IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 211mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply