Pizza for breakfaaaast?! Hooray!
Pizza egg cups were inspired by Saturday mornings in college, scraping pizza toppings into scrambled eggs. (Yes this is a thing, and yes its amazing.)
These pizza egg cups are great to meal prep for throwing in for breakfast or lunch and are so much better than a plain egg cup.
I refuse to believe eating healthy has to be bland.
Are pizza eggs healthy?
Absolutely! These are full of great protein, fiber, lots of vegetables, and they taste great!
What do you need:
- crushed tomatoes
- bell pepper
- gluten-free flour
This recipe is vegetarian but they would be phenomenal with some pepperonis thrown in if you have them on hand!
How long do these last?
I would try and eat these in about 3 days! Unfortunately I don't think they would be very good if frozen and then thawed out.
How many do you have at each meal?
Honestly, depends on how hungry you are but at minimum I would have 2 for breakfast, maybe with a side of fruit as well.
Tips for the best pizza egg cups:
Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, they do flatten a bit so don't poke them right away.
Top with shredded mozzarella cheese on each egg cup for additional pizza like flavor!
You can omit the flour if you like, I think it gives it an extra pizza like consistency.
Over the Spoon for:
Easy meal prep
Loaded with Veggies
High in Protein
What are your favorite kinds of baked egg cups? If you like a sweeter style, try these Blueberry Muffin Egg Cups.
Pizza Eggs Recipe
- 8 eggs
- ½ diced green bell pepper
- ½ diced white onion
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan or Italian cheese mix
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or flour of choice)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Saute onion in a pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes, add bell pepper and saute about 2 minutes.
- In a muffin tin, evenly distribute diced peppers and onions throughout 8 cups.
- In a bowl whisk eggs and crushed tomatoes.
- Add in seasoning, ½ of cheese, and flour.
- Pour mixture evenly throughout 8 cups in muffin tin.
- Bake cups for approximately 30 minutes or until eggs are pierced with no residue on fork.
- Sprinkle baked eggs with remainder of cheese and allow to melt before serving.