My FAAAVORITE brunch menu item is huevos rancheros, which got me thinking of an easy way to mimic those flavors at home.
This Mexican Baked Eggs dish is a healthy, gluten-free, and suuuuper simple Mexican style frittata!
If you want to serve with some tortilla chips... I may just join you.
What's in these Mexican Baked Eggs?
Refried beans! If you don't like refried beans...this is not the dish for you.
You could definitely try a different bean in the egg mixture and let me know if that works! But I really think the refried beans make this what it is.
After the beans, its a mix of eggs, rotel, spices, half and half, and shredded Mexican cheese.
Option to add your favorite salsa, hot sauce, avocado or fresh cilantro.
What makes this Mexican egg bake healthy?
This Mexican breakfast checks off all the satiating needs for a meal: fiber from the beans and protein from the eggs.
Adding avocado would make it even more filling and give it a bit more healthy fat. You could sneak in more vegetables by adding in some green bell pepper or serving with a side salad or 'slaw.
How to make this:
- Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Grease an oven safe dish and spread a can of refried beans.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 8 eggs, 1 can drained rotel, ½ tsp cumin, salt & pepper, and 2 tablespoons half & half
- Pour egg mixture over beans and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once eggs are cooked through, remove dish from oven and top with ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Place back in oven for about 3 minutes to melt cheese
- Add fresh cherry tomatoes, cilantro, hot sauce, avocado, or salsa
- Compliment with a side of tortilla chips
- Serve in a tortilla
If you like this recipe try these:
Pizza Baked Egg Cups!
Sweet Potato Crust Quiche Recipe
Mexican Baked Eggs
- 1 can refried beans
- 8 eggs
- 1 can rotel
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp half and half (or non- dairy milk of choice)
- ½ cup shredded mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Grease an oven safe dish and spread 1 can of refried beans on the base.
- In a large bowl whisk together 8 eggs, 1 can rotel, cumin, half and half, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over beans and bake for 30 minutes.
- When eggs are cooked through, take out of oven, top with cheese and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Serve with favorite toppings.
Delicious and sticks to your ribs!! Will make often!