Finally, gluten-free cornbread!
It's hard to find healthy cornbread that is gluten-free and not full of added sugars. And I'm so happy because honestly, what is a good bowl of chili without cornbread?
This is not your typical corn bread.
This healthy cornbread actually uses *gasp* corn instead of cornmeal for the corn flavor. It is very moist and not a crumbly cornbread.
Is there flour or cornmeal in this cornbread?
After many attempts without any sort of flour, the best consistency required just 2 tablespoons of all purpose gluten-free flour!
This healthy cornbread recipe is safe for those with celiac disease.
The star of this recipe is a can of blended chickpeas & corn rather than flour and corn meal.
The blended chickpeas gives this cornbread an incredible moist texture and added (21 grams!) of protein.
How is this cornbread healthy?
- it's made with real ingredients aka nothing processed
- it's high in protein from the eggs and the chickpeas
- uses monk fruit instead of granulated sugar to avoid raising blood sugar levels
- it is high in fiber from the corn and chickpeas
Tips to make Healthy Cornbread:
- Only drain the chickpea can ½ way, the juices help the consistency!
- Make sure to use a blender or food processor
- Use a can of unsalted corn to keep it from getting too salty
- Make sure to use gluten-free all purpose flour if you need it to be gluten-free!
- Top with (preferably grass-fed) butter and a sprinkle of salt while it's cooling and allow butter to melt in to corn bread for added flavor
Can I make it keto cornbread?
To have this cornbread fall more in line with a keto diet, use almond flour instead of all-purpose gluten-free flour. This WILL affect the consistency and make it a very moist consistency but it will still have great cornbread taste!
Over the Spoon for:
high protein and filling
What do you need to make this healthy cornbread?
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can corn
- 3 eggs
- monk fruit sweetener
- melted ghee or butter
- baking powder
- gluten-free flour
- no ghee? use olive oil
- no monk fruit? use coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- don't need gluten-free? try all purpose flour.
How to make the best healthy cornbread:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Blend together chickpea, corn, and 1 egg
- Blend in salt, sweetener, olive oil, baking powder, flour, and remaining eggs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before cutting and serving.
Flavors to add to cornbread:
Feel free to play with substitutions! Try adding some diced jalapenos or honey depending if you like your cornbread sweet or spicy.
Store this in the fridge for about a week.
Looking for more gluten-free breads? Try these Easy 3-ingredient Gluten-free Bagels!
Healthy Gluten-free Cornbread
- 1 can chickpeas (½ drained)
- ¾ can drained corn
- 3 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons monk fruit sweetener (or baking sweetener of choice)
- 1 ½ tablespoons melted ghee
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour (or flour of choice if not gluten free)
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a preferred baking dish.
- Blend together ½ drained can of chickpeas, 1 egg, and corn either in a blender or large bowl with an immersion blender.
- Blend in salt, sweetener, butter, baking powder, flour and 2 more eggs.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, top with butter for serving.
Mouthwatering! Yummy and healthy! This will definitely be a regular addition to our table.